Toffee is a very famous creamy caramel that is made from caramelized sugar, butter and, for its soft versions, cream. We can find the liquid version used for cakes, chocolates and frostings, the soft solid version as caramel and the hard solid version used to make the famous English toffee chocolate bars.
It is a delicious sweet and I personally don’t know which type I prefer. I am sure that if you make this sweet at home you will succeed.
ENGLISH TOFFEE RECIPE
- 200 g of white sugar
- 80 ml of water
- 225 g of unsalted butter
- 1 teaspoon vainilla extract
- 150 g of chocolate (you can pick your favourite one)
- silvered almonds
- In a heavy saucepan, heat sugar over medium heat. Don’t let it get burnt or reach a dark color, just heat it until golden (it is important not to over heat it at this point because it will stay in the saucepan while you add the rest of the ingredients so it will get darker at the end of the process).
- Add water and stir until both caramelized sugar and water have come together.
- Stir in butter and vainilla extract and keep on stirring until butter is melted.
- Increase heat and stir until you get a mixture looking tike the toffee in the picture (the process will take about 20 minutes). If you have a kitchen thermometer, stir until temperature is 150ºC (300F).
5. Inmediately pour toffee onto a baking sheet.
6. Spread mixture all over the sheet to 1-2 milimeters thick.
7. Melt chocolate.
8. Pour chocolate over toffee and sprinkle with silvered almonds before chocolate cools.
9. Refrigerate during one hour until hard.
10. Break it into bite-size pieces and enjoy!
TRICKS AND ADVICES:
- I advice you to get the baking sheet ready before starting the recipe. You should pour toffee inmediately onto it because the saucepan will be very hot and it can get toffee burnt.
- During the 20 minutes you will be stirring toffee in the saucepan, the mixture won’t look like toffee until the end. At the beggining, it will look like a watery mixture and later it will turn into a buttery mixture filled with bubbles. Don’t loose hope and think that you are doing wrong because you won’t see toffee until the end, when it reaches desired temperature.
- Keep it on the fridge.
As a result, you will get a delicious sweet and crunchy treat that will surprise you. I am sure you will love it.
I hope you guys like it!